2015 GSTMA Board of Directors Bios
Mark Holder - President
- 25 years experience in recreation and parks including Parks Coordinator since 2005
- STMA member since 2007 and member of The Annual Conference Education Committee from 2007-2010
- 7th District Chair Person for Georgia Recreation and Parks Association (GRPA) Facilities and Grounds Section from 2008-2009
Chris Ball, CSFM - Vice President
- Chris "Butter" Ball enters his sixth season with the Gwinnett Braves and 20th season in professional baseball in 2017. -- - For his outstanding work maintaining the Coolray Field playing surface in 2013, he was named both the International League Sports Turf Manager of the Year and the STMA Triple-A Sports Turf Manager of the Year
- In 2016, he was honored to serve on the sports turf staff for the Fort Bragg Game between the Atlanta Braves and Miami Marlins, the first-ever Major League game played on an active United States military installation
- Prior to joining the G-Braves in 2011, Butter spent nine seasons as the Senior Director of Sports Turf Management and Director of Ballpark Operations for the Advanced-A Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- He has also served as the Head Groundskeeper of the Double-A Harrisburg Senators, as well as a Supervisor of Athletic Facilities for the Parks and Recreation department of Greensboro, N.C.
- His highly-decorated career includes a record five consecutive Carolina League Field of the Year awards from 2006-10 with Myrtle Beach, and Class-A Sports Turf Manager of the Year awards in both 2007 and 2010.
Waldo Terrell - Commercial Vice President
- Former Head Turf Manager for The University of Georgia
- 8 years of experience in sales for sports turf and landscape
Shane Hohlbein, CSFM - Treasurer
- 10+ years turf experience at Jacksonville Jaguars, Cincinnati Bengals, Precision Turf and athletic field construction
- STMA Member since 2005
- BS in turfgrass science from The Ohio State University
- Certified Sports Turf Manager
David Presnell, CSFM - Secretary
- Certified Sports Field Manager
- Associates Degree in Environmental Horticulture
- 20 years of Turf Management experience
- 2008 STMA Field of the Year Winner
Because a few men believed that sports turf could be improved through the sharing of knowledge and the exchange of ideas, the Sports Turf Managers Association was officially formed in 1981.
The key leaders in the STMA's infancy were Harry "Pops" Gill (deceased), Milwaukee County Stadium; Dr. William Daniel (deceased), Professor Emeritus, Purdue University; Dick Ericson, Minneapolis Metrodome, and George Toma (NFL).
After sharing the office, executive secretary and conference facilities of the National Institute of Parks & Grounds Management in Appleton, Wisconsin, for three years, the sixty STMA members decided to venture into independence in November 1984.
The Board of Directors, led by their newly elected President, David Frey, appointed the Association's first Executive Director, Dr. Kent W. Kurtz, Professor of Turfgrass & Ornamental Horticulture at California State Polytechnic University in Pomona. In 1985, the Association incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation and began a quarterly newsletter. STMA established a national office in Upland, California, during the spring of 1987. The first national conference in 1986 was held in conjunction with that of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America, as were the annual meetings in 1987 and 1988.